How to tell GNOME menu items about environment variables?

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:40:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Rich Rudnick <rich at aphroneo.net> wrote:
> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I am trying to get a Japanese input method to work with an application
>  > launched from GNOME. This works fine from the terminal with:
>  >
>  > $ export LANGUAGE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
>  > $ export LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
>  > $ export LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8"
>  > $ export XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
>  > $ kinput2-canna &
>  > $ <execute command exactly as in GNOME menu item>
>
>  If all you want to do is have the environment variables recognized in
>  the gnome environment (and run the command from the menu) simply add the
>  environment variables to ~/.gnomerc (create the file if needed). This
>  file is read during gnome startup. I use it to add my ~/bin dir to the
>  path so the Alt-F2 run command dialog will find my custom commands there.

OK, this is also good info for me, thanks. I take it this is now
global---it will be applied for every application launched in GNOME
from the menus? What I am trying to do is make certain applications
only for *one* menu item, as the whole issue of locale definition is
rather opaque to me when it is not done from the command line.
Remember that although we have now wonderful support for charsets and
input methods, applications still need a particular locale defined (in
my case to activate Japanese input method) which may be different from
the general locale, and in general different for each application. I
take your point though, in that if I was happy with Japanese only, I
could set the locale to that in ~/.gnomerc  leaving just LANG in
English to maintain English UI and messages or something along those
lines.

Best regards, Gernot