eclipse-pydev: New upstream release 1.3.13 avaible

scott redhowlingwolves at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 07:30:10 UTC 2008

Kristian Rink wrote:
> Am Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:59:41 -0800
> schrieb Nick Stinemates <nick at stinemates.org>:
>

>> I think for packages such as these, a generic way to install it in an
>> Ubuntu like fashion -- i.e, putting it in proper/guessable directory
>> structure -- is the draw to having it done through Synaptic.
>>

> I am definitely torn about that, absolutely unsure whether having
> an application platform like Eclipse installable using syn(apt)ic is
> desirable. Imagine this situation:
>
> - Somebody used to working with Eclipse moves from Windows to Ubuntu
> and discovers that Ubuntu In Its Undisputable Greatness already comes
> with Eclipse in its repository. "apt-get install eclipse-sdk", and
> things seem fine.
>
> - However, by then, one is possibly used to working with the Eclipse
> Update Manager, so possibly after installing the Eclipse SDK via
> synaptic, making use of this facility provided by Eclipse to install
> some additional features and uninstall some others.
>
> By then, her/his system will be in an utterly inconsistent state -
> installing any additional Eclipse packages provided in the repository
> via apt is likely to end up in modules not running as these packages
> might depend upon modules in the SDK the user has chosen to remove
> using the package manager.
>
> As soon as the user decides to, say, upgrade to a new release however,
> this might change, as apt, vice versa, doesn't know about packages
> manually installed using the Eclipse Update Manager and thus won't
> hesitate updating Eclipse components from the repository even at the
> risk of breaking manually installed packages depending upon the
> versions installed. Also not a situation desirable. From that point of
> view, as said, I generally question what's the point in packaging
> Eclipse for Ubuntu, as so far I just have seen trouble growing out of
> that, having a rather small comfort in return (given that installing
> Eclipse without apt is as difficult as downloading and extracting a .zip
> file...).
>

>> I believe I misread the initial tone, and is definitely why I encased
>> it in <rant> tag's as well ;)
>>

> Well, yes. :) It possibly wasn't a "real" rant. But, actually, on the
> German ubuntu forums, I more than once helped resolving issues related
> to getting different modules to work with Ubuntu-packaged Eclipse, and
> in all these situations, it seemed the problems suddenly were all gone
> as soon as using a "vanilla" Eclipse and installing packages using the
> _Eclipse_ way, not the Ubuntu way. From that point of view, I wonder
> whether not having Eclipse available via the Ubuntu repos would be a
> better solution than having (no offense to those who build the Eclipse
> packages) a half-baked solution that breaks either apt or Eclipse
> Update Manager. To push that even further, I think the only meaningful
> way to package an application like Eclipse for Ubuntu/Debian would be
> [...]
It all depends on the user's level of expertise on any (not just Ubuntu)
*nix*. You have to keep track of what packages you've installed
manually, and the packages you installed through apt-get, or aptitude (
which, is your choice ), or for that matter dpkg. Or Alien.
My Ubuntu has gotten to a point (thanks to free software ) that I can
barely call it Ubuntu.GrSec kernel,and more up-to-date software is what
I choose to do. YMMV.

I rarely boot into my GrSec kernel. But the point I'm trying to make is
"Free software,is Free software. Use it!" Learning * nix *, to me, is
what Ubuntu is all about. For the beginner to the old Unix pro, *nix is
a learning curve.