Partition Reorganization

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Feb 17 08:46:10 UTC 2008

Some remarks:

1. The boot flag is not important for Linux. My main machine was installed
as dual boot for Windows/Linux and I have changed it to Linux only some
time ago. The boot flag is still active for the former Windows partition
which is only a data partition now.

2. You have to edit /etc/fstab of the hda6 partition. Change the partition
entry for / and make it /dev/hda6 (or use the appropriate UUID). If you
had an entry for the hda6 partition before, remove it or replace the
device name with /dev/hda2.

3. Don't overwrite the installation in hda2 because the menu.lst file from
_that_ partition is used for booting. You will have to run grub-install
for the new location - but you should better wait until you can reliably
boot from hda6. Then copy the menu.lst file from hda2
to /boot/grub/menu.lst in hda6. While running the system of hda6, use

grub-install /dev/hda

to make grub use the menu.lst of hda6.

Nils