apache2 AddDefaultCharset problem

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:04:36 UTC 2008

On 2/14/08, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu at dachsweb.de> wrote:

> That is not a stupid question, but I am not sure whether I have
> the right answer. Beside a small entry page made with cmsimple,
> I use the server only for my web mail client IMP and Squirrelmail,
> the esniper front end es-f MailZu for spam quarantine, AvantFax for
> faxing and ajaxterm for a javascript shell. The default installation
> has no problems with the german umlauts, so I haven't seen your problem.
> I have found only this in the config file:
>
>         lighttpd.conf:dir-listing.encoding        = "utf-8"

Hi Gerald,

If you say you don't have problems with the German umlauts *and* if you also
have that line stating dir-listing.encoding = "utf-8"... I guess this
answers my problem! That's the only goddamn extra "feature" I need from
a web server, to allow me to specify utf-8 as the encoding used in the
directory listings :-)

Thanks again for the hint, I'll keep on trying a little bit more with apache
(including asking on their mailing lists what's wrong) and if that won't
help... I might as well try lighttpd (after all... the whole OSS concept
*is* about alternatives, actually).

Thank you,

Alex.