hung boot process

Bob Holtzman holtzm at sonic.net
Thu Feb 14 18:42:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
> schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>:
>
> > Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > > A search for error 15 yielded:
> > >
> > > 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up
> > > blank 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was
> > > missing grub.
>
> This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you are
> only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
> partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
> the missing files appear.

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had /dev/sda<whatever>, the boot
partition, mounted on the /boot mount point. You are correct, of course,
that a lot of content appeared once I had done this. Unfortunately, none
of it had anything to do with grub until I ran grub-install. Even then
the only file that the grub directory contained was device.map.

> > 1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need
> > to mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
> > didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically
> > to /.
>
> Karl, this is nonsense, /boot/grub/ is no partition and it looks
> like you are missing the point. He has used the installer to partition
> his drive and he can expect that the installer will manage all this
> things for him.

Karl has a long history of posting, shall we say, uninformed advice on the
fedora list. Also of refusing to accept offered help.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Bob Holtzman
 ......check the price of the beer!"