Fwd: No rt* modules on alternate cd: Was Alternate Gutsy CD-Debootstrap Error Installing Base System-Failed To Determine Code Name Of Release

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 05:26:15 UTC 2008

--- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 02/13/2008 07:20 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>

> > Got around the debootstrap error by formating
> earlier
> > in the process and things went good until about
> 83% in
> > the "install software" process.  The install hung
> > there for about 2 hours on installed "Tomboy
> Notes".
> > Found it at 97 % and it completed shortly.  Then I
> > reboot and start setting up the wlan interface but
> no
> > wireless in Network.  Checked my /lib/mods and no
> rt*
> > entries to be found. Even ran recovery mode and a
> > shell to search for the rt* mods but none found.
> Now
> > they must be there because I connected on the
> first
> > install from the same disk. Without the rt61pci
> > module, I can't get on line.
> > Would appreciate anyone who can shed some light on
> > what is happening and a way to correct.  Getting
> to be
> > exasperating and desperate.
> > TIA,
> >

> Give this a try:
>
> Alternate CD: install in text mode, do not select
> *any* network during
> the install process, continue the install *without
> networking*, set up
> networking after the install.

Thanks for the come back, NoOp. However, that's
exactly what I did. I presume you mean after the
install and reboot which is what I did. What gets me
the most is there is no mention of wireless networking
that I find after 3 installs and when I boot up only
wired and dialup modem entries are shown under
networking. Makes it difficult to set up a wireless
even if the drivers are in place. Are there any
preferred mirrors to download the iso from? Is there
more than one version of gutsy(i386 version) to choose
from? BTW, the alt CD only recognizes my NIC. There is
no mention of the WMP54G in dmesg or anywhere.
Reallly weird! Thanks for your help,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net