Fwd: No rt* modules on alternate cd: Was Alternate Gutsy CD-Debootstrap Error Installing Base System-Failed To Determine Code Name Of Release

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 16:57:06 UTC 2008

On 02/13/2008 09:26 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Give this a try:
>>
>> Alternate CD: install in text mode, do not select
>> *any* network during
>> the install process, continue the install *without
>> networking*, set up
>> networking after the install.
>>

> Thanks for the come back, NoOp. However, that's
> exactly what I did. I presume you mean after the
> install and reboot which is what I did. What gets me
> the most is there is no mention of wireless networking
> that I find after 3 installs and when I boot up only
> wired and dialup modem entries are shown under
> networking. Makes it difficult to set up a wireless
> even if the drivers are in place. Are there any
> preferred mirrors to download the iso from? Is there
> more than one version of gutsy(i386 version) to choose
> from? BTW, the alt CD only recognizes my NIC. There is
> no mention of the WMP54G in dmesg or anywhere.
> Reallly weird! Thanks for your help,

Mirrors should all be the same.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

Odd... when I installed my son's laptop with an Dynex PCMCIA card in it
using the Alternate CD I seem to recall that it pick up the device and
showed both the wireless and the built in nic.
<http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-596-4-dynex-80211g-enhanced-wireless-g-laptop-card.aspx>

But that wouldn't help you with the rt* modules. Perhaps the Ubuntu DVD
has what you are looking for. You can check what files are included by
checking the .list file:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/gutsy/release/
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/gutsy/release/ubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.list

You can do the same by checking the .list file for the Alternate CD from
any of the mirrors, example:

<http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/ubuntu/releases/gutsy/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.list>