Another WIFI Issue Involving WMP54G & /etc/hosts

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Feb 13 16:09:32 UTC 2008

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>
>> > No, not in this case. Sometimes a person needing
>> help
>> > just needs a simple straight forward answer to a
>> > direct question for him to make progress.
>>
>> If you want a straightforward answer, you have to
>> ask a straightforward
>> - and answerable - question.
>>
>> The question you asked made no sense, because (a) it
>> _is_ the
>> default /etc/hosts you would get in a brand new
>> installation and (b) you
>> didn't bother to tell us why you felt it was causing
>> a problem.
>>
> Here's where we differ.  It was not the default hosts
> file. I myself have modified it several times.

OK, it's true that I can't actually tell that it was the original.  However,
I can tell that it is _structurally_ exactly like a default /etc/hosts.

> answer to the question.  Don't take offense because
> this is the facts from by insight and viewpoint.

I'm not taking offense to the question, I'm pointing out that nobody _could_
give you the answer in the way you wanted it.  There's nothing wrong with
your hosts file.

> So, I'll ask straight forward again, will rming the
> /etc/host/ file regenerate the original first install

No.

> version or at least a correct rendition, if not how?
>
>> fwiw, I think you're barking up the wrong tree ...
>> again.  There's nothing
>> in that /etc/hosts to affect your WIFI

ibid
--