Hardy: HAL kills my network

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Feb 12 15:15:22 UTC 2008

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a problem with network connectivity on hardy alpha 4.
> I configured my machine as a diskless system with roofs served via NFS.
> This runs fine, but only if i remove S40hal from /etc/rc2.d.
> As soon as S40hal get executed, the machine looses connectivity, thereby
> loosing it's root fs and hangs.
>
> Is there a way to keep HAL from touching network interfaces? I do not
> want to disable HAL completely because of automounting removable devices.

This is probably being caused by Network Manager, which is started from
the HAL scripts.. (sorry, I forget exactly what directory these are in,
but should be something that looks like /etc/hal, look for something
that looks like a an init script link, S##networkmanager, or you can
simply uninstall the network manager from your packages)