Another WIFI Issue Re: Linksys WMP54G V4.1

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 11 18:19:33 UTC 2008

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Now, in Ubuntu's infinite
> wisdom, has made "resolv.conf" only accessible via
> script to add the correct info.

This is why I plonked you before.  Please DON'T assume "Ubuntu" has made a
mistake just because you don't understand what is going on.  In fact, you
can modify resolv.conf all you want.  You can even make it static.  That
wouldn't be smart, but you could do it.

Much smarter would be to just ask us how you get resolv.conf to do what you
want it to - except, just googling or searching this list should have told
you.

> When sudo could
> access the file and add data that the script wouldn't
> ovrer write, I could simply add the info and be on my
> way to connecting.

Sudo can.  If you can't do it, I can only assume that _you_ have modified
the "immutable" property of the file (I remember such a discussion here,
but don't recall if you were involved).

The default /etc/resolv.conf should say at the top:
  # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

and there's a good reason for that.

> Well, not to rant more, what must I do now to add the
> above necessary info?

Simply removing /etc/resolv.conf would be a good start - it should be
automatically recreated, but if it isn't "sudo touch /etc/resolv.conf"
would do.

> BTW, I don't read script, have
> read the man's, googled on it and cant't figure how to
> do it. I've even added the search gateway and IP
> address to my hosts file, probably wrong thing to do,

Indeed.  The only thing that _might_ need to be changed is to set:
 prepend domain-name "YOURDOMAIN";
in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf if just removing /etc/resolv.conf doesn't fix
the problem.
--
derek