How to load squid was Re:localhost

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 22:35:49 UTC 2008

On 02/10/2008 02:09 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>> On Feb 10, 2008 4:46 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>>>  And now I am back on X Windows and squid is NOT going to
>>> work on Ubuntu PERIOD.
>>

>> Good, that's settled then.
>
> Kind of odd that the guy at
>
> http://tonyseno.blogspot.com/2008/01/configuring-squid-on-ubuntu.html

[snip]

> *shrug*

Now boys... :-)
[listmom]

Found out something interesting (besides the listmom issues) while
perusing these multiple karl threads; when I read:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/squid/+bug/97505
So I tried hostname -f on 4 of my systems:

hostname -f

on 3 of my systems it would return:

hostname: Unknown host

So I compared it to my laptop that has a fresh intall on it & also has a
working 'hostname -f', and discovered that if I put the domain/workgroup
name in the 127.0.1.1 line of /etc/hosts, hostname -f doesn't work. Example:

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost <mysystemname>.mshome
127.0.1.1 <mysystemname>.mshome

hostname -f = unknown host Note: mshome is the workgroup domain that I
use for samba.

but

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost <mysystemname>.mshome
127.0.1.1 <mysystemname>

hostname -f = <mysystemname>

Not sure if any of that has any real bearing on squid or not, but I
recall some threads in the past (Leonard enters stage left) where some
programs were looking for, and not being cooperative when a "FQDN"
wasn't found.