Linksys WMP54G Wireles Adaptor Wont Work; Or I Don't Know How To Know Solved

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 22:26:14 UTC 2008

This wifi issue is now solved via another reply
clueing me in on how to properly enter DNS info
specifically the search domain. Thanks David Vencent
for that.
Adding gateway.2wire.net alias to the search domain
entry solved the no connection issue for this card.  I
was on line after doing an "ifdown wlan0" and ifup
wlan0.
Had hoped that Christopher Copeland would have come
back to this thread so maybe to learn something about
networking, but maybe he hasn't seen it yet.
Thanks to everyone on the list who offered help on
this connection issue.

--- Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> --- Christopher Copeland <chrcop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Leonard,
> >
> > On 8 Feb 2008, at 12:20, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > > If that's not right thing or you or anyone have
> > suggestions, let me
> > > hear them.  And thanks for keeping the thread
> > alive.
> >

> > Sorry for coming to this thread late. I have some
> > experience with
> > wireless cards in linux and I'd be willing to
> offer
> > any help I can.
> >
> Thanks Chris, I'm happy you came as there is a lot
> for
> me to learn on wifi setup. I'll post what I've done
> now and the remaining issues for me at the bottom.
>
> > I have a Giga-Byte GN-WP01 in a machine that has
> > worked well with both
> > Gentoo and now Ubuntu. It is also a ralink rt61
> > based pci card, but
> > note I don't know if the GT version is the same.
> > It's using the
> > rt61pci module now but has also worked with
> > ndiwrapper. What are the
> > issues you are seeing with your linksys card?
> >
> The rt61pci is the one I'm now using and was finally
> able to get the light on back to burn and blink so I
> know it's partly working and I think my remaining
> problem is in setup.  I'll list issues at end.
>
> > I'd recommend using a usb based adapter if you are
> > going to buy
> > something new. Better reception, easier to move to
> > another machine
> > (laptop) and much easier to move around with a usb
> > extension than a
> > lossy cable and RP-SMA connector.
>
> Don'r know the term unless that's the designation
> for
> the PCI slot.
>
>  The ralink rt73
> > cards are the best
> > and my personal favourites. The D-Link WUA-1340 is
> > easy to find around
> > here and hasn't been revision bumped yet so you
> > don't need to worry
> > which chipset you are actually buying if you shop
> > online etc..
> >
> That's good to know; rt73 and buying on line,
> thanks.
>
> Ok, here's what I've done:
>
> Added rt61pci to modules and blacklisted
> mac8021(which
> kept the card from being recognized or getting an
> irq
> assigned and no light burning.
>
> lsmod list these rt* and related modules:
>
> mac80211    4  rc80211_simple, rt61pci, rt2xx00pci,
> rt2x00lib
> rt61pci     0
> rt2x00pci   1  rt61pci
> rc80211_simple   1 rt61pci
> rt2x00lib   0
> rtkill      1 rt2x00lib
> cfg80211   1 mac80211
> input_polldev  1 rt2x00lib
> crc_itu_t   1 rt2x00lib
> eeprom_93cx6  1 rt61pci
> (Note to newbies like me: even though mac80211
> module
> [...]

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net