Linksys WMP54G Wireles Adaptor Wont Work; Or I Don't Know How To

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Thu Feb 7 22:08:13 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 9:24 PM, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> BTW, maybe you can verify something for me.  Do you
> have to remove the card before installing the
> driver/module as yhou do ffor windows?

Leonard, as a general rule, if the kernel detects new hardware in your
system, it will load the corresponding kernel module automatically,
*if is available*, obviously!

The first thing you should do when you add a piece of new hardware,
such as a NIC, to your system, is check dmesg, after rebooting if
required. This contains a full record of the kernel's interaction with
your hardware.

dmesg output tends to be very long, it may be useful to view with 'less'.

In your case, you will want to look for the string "rt2400", which is
the name of the driver for the RaLink RT2400, RT2500, etc family,

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam