Router/hub Q

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:34:00 UTC 2008

Hi Res

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 10:09:17 Res wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, James Takac wrote:
> > I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
>
> Which model?

Netcomm nb1300 plus4

> > router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
> > connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing
> > each
>
> ethernet or wireless?  If wireless some netgears have the ability to do an
> 'isolation mode' which causes this exact same scenario.

ethernet. My oops, meant netcomm

> > has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I suspect it's
> > on
>
> when it freezes, can any other pc access it? tried both ethernet and
> wireless?

I get no response from the modem at that point

> > the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to hit my area
> > while I was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to
> > connect a multi port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another
> > multi port router? My
>
> Possibly better to do it that way, 8 port SOHO switches can be bought from
> 40 odd dollars upwards, probably cheaper in other parts of the world, its
> for home, so you dont need a foundry :)
>
> I do find I get better throughput from pc to pc via a cheap $40 dlink
> switch than I do via any netgear I've tried, if doing many things at once,
> like heavy NFS use or rsycing (via ethernet).
>

> --
> Cheers
> Res

thx for the help
James

--
Subhuti, what do you think? Is the Tathagata to be recognized by some material
characteristic? No, World-honored One; the  Tathagata cannot be  recognized

Dharmapada
Section V. Understanding the Ultimate Principle of Reality