Router/hub Q

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 01:08:13 UTC 2008

Hi Res

On Thursday 07 February 2008 09:54:41 Res wrote:
> Hi James,

> >> Which model?
> >
> > Netcomm nb1300 plus4
>
> Ah ok, those can be problematic, the early day netcomms were good, but
> then they starte dto get popular, and they needed to manufactur a lot more
> fast, this meant their supplier was using cheaper components and sicne
> then, they can be rubbishy.

Thx for the heads up there. Worked fine till the storm which is why I suspect
storm damage.

> > ethernet. My oops, meant netcomm
>
> hehe thats OK. I think its time to replace it, try a netgear, for DSL.
> they work very well and are cheap enough as well.
> Whatever you do avoid Dlink DSL gear, they make a great little 8port soho
> switches, but I've never ben impressed with their DSL modems, the 3xx and
> 6xx series at least, gave our support staff nightmates.

I've come to the same conclusion re replacing it. Finally got a reason to
ditch windows 100% on the last sys with a printer/scanner that will work with
ubuntu (new) which is all that stopped me there. Think I'll go the hub and
modem approach as I can connect more pc's that way

> > I get no response from the modem at that point
>
> Is it under warranty? If so try your luck of a replacement, just don't
> mention the storm, but then again you shouldn't as it's 'hear say', you
> were at work, and are not to _actually_ know, so you're not really BS'ing
> them. ;)

Well and truly out of warranty there
> --
> Cheers