fetchmail cant fetch mail

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 21:18:51 UTC 2008

This morning I noticed that I wasnt getting any mail from this group
or any group for which I use my gmail address. I sent myself a test
message and I didnt get it. Then soon after my main mail account went
down.

First I was looking at this message:
Feb  6 07:49:26 wadesmart fetchmail[16877]: 873 messages (873 seen)
for wadesmart at gmail.com at pop.gmail.com (5519995 octets).

Because when I looked I had actually about 100 more messages than it
had downloaded. So after trying to figure that one out I started
seeing another message.

Looking in the logs I found a few problems with fetchmail:

It starts wtih:

Feb 5 07:57:00 wadesmart fetchmail[5926]:
reading message wade at wadesmart.com@pop.where.secureserver.net:3 of 3
(1974 octets) (log message incomplete)

Feb  5 07:57:00
wadesmart fetchmail[5926]:
SMTP error: 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax

Feb  5 07:57:00
wadesmart fetchmail[5926]:
SMTP error: 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax

Feb  5 11:07:38
wadesmart fetchmail[5915]:
Unknown login or authentication error on
wadesmart at gmail.com@gmail-pop.l.google.com

Feb  5 11:07:38 wadesmart
fetchmail[5915]: socket error while fetching from
wadesmart at gmail.com@pop.gmail.com

Feb  5 11:11:09 wadesmart
fetchmail[5915]: Unknown login or authentication error on
wadesmart at gmail.com@gmail-pop.l.google.com

First I thought was a good thing but then it happened to my own email
host. I contacted my host and they said it was nothing on their end
but when I read them one of the errors, apparently it threw them for a
loop.

Feb  6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Authorization failure on
it at pop.where.secureserver.net
Feb  6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
Feb  6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Authorization failure on
it at gmail-pop.l.google.com
Feb  6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)

I dont know why fetchmail is trying to contact
pop.where.seureserver.net or why  its contacting it@ for either gmail
or secureserver.

I stopped fetchmail and looked at the rc file and nothing has changed.
I restarted and continued to have the same errors.

Wade