Linksys WMP54G Wireles Adaptor Wont Work; Or I Don't Know How To

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 3 04:36:20 UTC 2008

--- debian <debiani386 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 14:57 -0800, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > Just bought new PC and monitor.  Installed it in
> > location of my direct wired ubuntu gutsy machine
> and
> > moved the ubuntu machine to a remote location and
> > installed the above adaptor which was working on a
> WXP
> > machine. The wireless had a CD for driver
> installation
> > but is for windose of course.   /etc/resolv.conf
> only
> > has entry for 127.0.0.1 and should have:
> >
> > search gateway.2wire.net
> > nameserver   192.168.1.254
> >
> > which was the original before I switched out the
> > machines.  Do I need a linux driver?  Tried to fix
> by
> > running "sudo resolvconf -u, -d and -a but nothing
> > changes or hangs when I try to add the nameserver
> > above.  Also tried dhcpclient3, or whatever the
> name
> > is, which didn't help. Running kubuntu desktop and
> > tried the KDE tools there adding the nameserver IP
> > which didn't help.
> > Would appreciate and suggestion to resolve this
> issue
> > so I can get back to learning how to burn an iso
> file
> > and instlall Ubuntu on the new machine.
> > TIA,
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >

> first off, you need to know if linux is setting up
> the driver for it
>
> to do that, reinsert the device, open the terminal
> and type:
> dmesg | tail
>
> post the output here
>
> btw, have you tried using the ndiswrapper?

Thanks for the suggestions.  Haven't tried ndiswrapper
and hope don't have to.
I'm happy to try out your suggestion but not quite
sure what your saying.  Do you mean to shut down pull
out and reinsert the card and then restart. After
restarting then type "dmesg | tail"? My first time
setting up a wireless.  ITMT, I did this:

lspci shows "NETWORK CONTROLLER: RaLink RT2561/RT61
802.11g PCI. I did a modprobe rt61pci and lspci shows
it to be installed.  I haven't pulled the card yet and
will wait on clarification first.  But on a restart
dmesg|tail only had bluetooth entries.  Dmesg|less had
some interesting items:

iwiwifi_rc80211_simple:unknown symbol
iwlwifi__sta_info_put(all one line)
There were 2 other similar entries with only the last
2 words different.  The ending on one was sta_info_get
and ieee80211_rate_control_register. All hand
transcribed so didn't copy those.Then the last 2 dmesg
entries were:

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link not ready
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link not ready

No other dmesg related entries.  Hope it help as I
don't know what they mean or what to do about them.
Thanks for the help,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net