USB Router Support?

Willis Taylor gods-servant at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 1 06:29:23 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Can you clarify? Is the connection gone for the entire network or only for
> this one machine via USB?

> If the router is not known to the USB part of the Linux kernel it will not
> work. What is the output of
>
> lsusb
>
> in a terminal?
>
> If your connection via USB will not work, you could use an ethernet switch
> to also connect your Kubuntu machine to the CAT5 port of the router.

> I don't know this specific router, but you could probably use it as a
> switch, i.e. put it in the CAT5 line between the 1000SW and the computer
> which is connected to that CAT5 port now. Probably you need a crossover
> cable between the two routers. Then connect your Kubuntu machine to
> another port of the 1700. The five ports of the router are usually only a
> switch, so I would be very surprised if it cares about the IP address.
> However, you have to disable the DHCP service of the 1700 router.
>

>> I was not
>> aware there was a Kubuntu list, I'll need to find that one.

> But I don't think this is a problem specific to KDE, so this Ubuntu list
> is appropriate as well.
>

> Nils

The only unit not communicating with the others is the Main computer and
that is only when it is started up in Kubuntu.  The other two
communicate and access the internet either one at a time or both at the
same time.  The only time there is a problem at all is when the Main
unit is started in Kubuntu and it is the only one that has a problem.
This very moment it is booted in Kubuntu and I am using the test bed to
communicate with my wife's unit and we are both on the internet at this
moment.

Thanks Nils.