users and groups - thanks

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Wed Dec 31 05:33:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 14:03 +1030, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Sunday 28 December 2008 12:50:13 Thomas Sprinkmeier wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 09:28 +1030, Brian Astill wrote:
> > > Thanks for the helpful comments and advice.
> > > I guess my one criticism of Ubuntu is that it tends to hide
> > > commands like usermod and leave people like me suspicious
> > > when the need arises to use them.
> >
> > Can you think of a way to un-'hide' it, preferably without
> > sending command-line shy first-timers running behind the sofa
> > and cowering in fear?
>
> I cannot understand why some people are so defensive on this
> issue.  The fact is that the sysadmin  GUI tools are incomplete
> and thus misleading.  In the particular case the GUI tool would
> not allow me to allocate more than one group to a user I wished
> to create.  Had I not _known_ that this was possible I would have
> made no further enquiry - usermod and other useful variants had
> been effectively hidden from me.

You can allocate a user to more than a single group in the Manage Group
window.  You do have to add the new user first and then assign the user
to the groups.  I think this UI could be greatly improved upon, but the
functionality is there to add a user to multiple groups.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
smoot at tic.com