Install ubuntu hardy heron on ThinkPad R61i and ThinkPad i1200

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:10:55 UTC 2008

Hannah Josephine Dippe wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> after installing ubuntu hardy heron on my old ThinkPad, it was not possible
> to bring up the display to resolution > 800x600. So I installed ubuntu7.04
> on the machine - resolution <1024x786> is no problem. Is it possible to
> install hardy heron again, and replace xorg.conf with xorg.conf old?
> Which steps are needed additional?
>
> Planning to install ubuntu on my new thinkpad too, there are some questions.
>
> The R61i comes out of the box with <ThinkVantage> - function. This
> means, that I can choose mighty recoveryfunctions while press the button
> during boot-process. The function is written to the mbr and I don't want
> to loose it.
>
> Will <grub>, after installing, support and show this mbr-member as choose,
> or will
> it override it?

    I have a laptop that stores a recovery system in a partition. When I
loaded Ubuntu Grub shows Ubuntu, windows, and the recovery software. I
clicked on the recovery and it started. So grub did save my recovery.

    Suggest you come up in the LiveCD and look at your hard drive(s)
with the partitioner and see if yours is like mine.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User