Neither 8.04 or 8.10 will boot on my hardware so I am stuck at 7.10

Jeff Silverman jeffsilverm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 21:34:49 UTC 2008

People,

When I try to boot either 8.04 or 8.10 on my desktop, the boot process
takes about 20 minutes and eventually kicks me into busybox with an
initramfs prompt.

I carefully checked the MD5 checksum before burning my CDs and did a
read after write when I burned my CD. I had the same troubles 8.04. The
system would take about 20 minutes and kick me into initramfs and
busybox. I can still run 7.10 just fine. I also tried using
all_generic_ide and rootdelay=130 in the boot string, no joy.

I read somewhere that this was a bug in a 8.04 and I was hoping that it
would be fixed in 8.10.  I wish I had kept that information.

I have an IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ 512 MBytes of RAM.

This is a generic IDE controller with "old fashioned" IDE disk drives.
What other information would be helpful?

Thank you

Jeff Silverman
jeffsilverm at gmail dot c0m

--