Stuck at 6.06LTS and no flashplayer.

hermanaa hermanaa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 08:51:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 23:30 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2008/12/18 hermanaa <n0jnqrp at gmail.com>
>         I cannot upgrade beyond Ubuntu 6.06LTS. I can live with
>         6.06LTS for now.
>          (I bring the upgrade-problem to the list later).
>
>         However 6.06LTS has no flashplayer.
>          Yesterday I had to go to Windows to see .....
>
>         Soooo .... I am terribly STUCK! (no flashplayer and no upgrade
>         possible).
>
> And why don't you install Firefox 2 or Firefox 3?
>
> Did you check for "libflashplayer.so" in
> "/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree"?
> In "/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/" there should be a link to it (or to
> another link to it) and maybe also in "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/".
>
> Have you tried this testpage?

File Search did not find libflashplayer
 I did find:
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/flashplugin-nonfree.desktop

usr/share/firefox/searchplugins -only 'fox'-name-related plug-in
None - 'moz' name-related plug-ins. (I file-searched for 'moz', saved
the results in a file. I searched the file for 'plug'.)

> And why don't you install Firefox 2 or Firefox 3?

That's what I did ! Install a FireFox 3.
It took me a while (like looking 20 times what all could go wrong, and
find 21 answers).

I downloaded firefox-3.0.tar.bz2

===
(Instructions)
Linux Install Firefox for all users

First close all running old Firefox 2.x sessions. Login as the root and
type the following command to move old firefox 2 and install Firefox 3
under Linux:
# cd /opt     >I found the dir empty.
# mv firefox firefox.old   >no need ... no firefox there.

# cp /tmp/firefox-3.0.tar.bz2 .    -successful (that space before the
last dot fooled me!)

# tar -jxvf firefox-3.0.tar.bz2  >I guess it is going to use /opt

To start firefox, enter:
$ /opt/firefox/firefox &      >I have my doubts .....

===

If all goes wrong, there is still Synaptic with the Mozilla-browser.
(FireFox as well). (and I have Puppy Linux .....).
Yeah ... Linux is all about choices ... many of them ..... lol.

n0jn at bswim:/opt$ dir   -Linux file is in the right place
firefox-3.1b2.tar.bz2

n0jn at bswim:/opt$ sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3.1b2.tar.bz2
firefox/
firefox/libfreebl3.chk
firefox/libmozjs.so
firefox/libssl3.so
 ...... bulk cut
firefox/modules/PluralForm.jsm
firefox/crashreporter-override.ini
n0jn at bswim:/opt$ /opt/firefox/firefox &
[1] 14559
n0jn at bswim:/opt$ /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
libraries: libdbus-1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

Questions:

++ Can I manually correct this error (by searching what's missing +
installing same) or is this impractical?
++ What can I do next? (the purpose was to get a flashplayer .....).

Herman in Philippines.