Open Office problems

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Mon Dec 22 07:18:51 UTC 2008

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Richard Crossland wrote:
>> Karl,
>> I just checked and the first one is www.openoffice.org which I believe
>> to be the official URL. What address do you get?
>>
>> Richard

>>>    This is a fact. Prove it to yourself by in Google put open office
>>> and then check out the first listing. It IS a sham.
>>>

>>> Karl

>>> --
>>>
>>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>>        Linux User
>>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>>   PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>     Are you saying the very first listing? I still get the paid for
> listing of the spam guy. Are you sure you used "open office"
>
> Karl

I have not really followed the conversation for long, but would like to
know the reason why some people get different result in Google although
using the same query: <open office> or <"open office">.

I have tried to reproduce Karl's result by:
1)  Disabling ABP in FF.
2)  Using lynx
3)  Using localized Google in FF (Sweden)

If Karl is not using any special query form, assuming Ubuntu or home
routers doesn't change the query/result, one could suspect the ISP.
If the ISP really does anything behind the scenes, it would be good to
air this in public and thus bring this issue to a proper forum.
If the issue is related to Ubuntu 8.10, I know Karl is using 8.10, then
the issue should be taken up here, but under another subject.

Any other thoughts?
--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |