Long boot

Anthony M. Rasat anthony.rasat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 02:33:31 UTC 2008

H S Rai wrote:
>My laptop (Compaq Prsario V3000, RAM 512 MB,
>swap 1480 MB, CPU 800
MHz, Ubuntu 8.10
>updated ) takes long time (about 04 minutes)

I have Compaq Presario V3660TU (V3000 series) but with Core 2 Duo 1.5GHz. Mine is booting under 60 seconds for several (possible) asumption:

1) RAM. I added extra 1GB RAM chip to original 512MB RAM. Speed was enermously improving since. In here, 1 GB DDR2 RAM cost me around USD 30.
2) Filesystem. I chose ReiserFS or JFS instead of ext3. I saw that some improvement on boot speed from this filesystem choice alone.
3) Have you tried compcache? Google it, for it will be too long for me to explain it here. Improvement could vary.
4) Do you really need everything? I usually untick tracker, update notifier (I usually always remember to manually update my laptop, thank you) from Session and remove lp kernel module from /etc/modules.
5) Do you know what preload is? Like compcache I think you better search for explaination yourself.

--

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465