Speeding up the boot process

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 05:12:16 UTC 2008

Steve Flynn wrote:
> Whilst sitting on the train yesterday, bored, I was digging around in
> the boot-up scripts. I admit it - I have no life.
>
> I started with up looking at /etc/init.d/rc as its the first
> interesting script that gets called in the boot sequence.
>
> At the top of the file is the following text:
>
> # Specify method used to enable concurrent init.d scripts.
> # Valid options are 'none', 'shell' and 'startpar'.  To enable the
> # concurrent boot option, the init.d script order must allow for
> # concurrency.  This is not the case with the default boot sequence in
> # Debian as of 2008-01-20.  Before enabling concurrency, one need to
> # check the sequence values of all boot scripts, and make sure only
> # scripts that can be started in parallel have the same sequence
> # number, and that a scripts dependencies have a earlier sequence
> # number. See the insserv package for a away to reorder the boot
> # automatically to allow this.
> CONCURRENCY=none
>

> On a whim, and not knowing if the default scripts as set up by Ubuntu
> had indeed been labeled so that concurrent scripts were indeed using
> the same sequence number, I made the change to
>
> CONCURRENCY=shell
>
> and restarted the machine. The result was a machine which came up in
> about half the time it normally does (if you boot with noquiet and an
> nosplash you'll see the scripts being started concurrently).
I have seen this mentioned in a few different places. I have tried it
with limited success on different machines. On my desktop machine
)running 8.04) it works well but on my laptop (running 7.10) the
wireless doesn't come up correctly. I am sure that I could play around
with the order of the scripts in rc3.d but I am a little too lazy.
If you really want to see a fast boot time google "eee pc 5 second
boot". I believe that part of what Jaunty (9.04) is looking to do is
speed things up so maybe we will see that 5 second boot.

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.