Lenovo 3000 n200 optical drive problems

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 15 12:12:48 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/09/2008 04:37 PM, squareyes wrote:
>

> Try:
> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLenovo+3000+n200
>
> examples:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/198319
> [Lenovo 3000 N200 DVD-rom missing]
>
> Also try:
> <http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/search?board_id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&submitted=true&q=GMA-4082N>
> See:
> <http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&message.id=4471&query.id=87688#M4471>
>   http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html#DLP
> and
> <http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/search?board_id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&submitted=true&q=ubuntu>

Hi NoOp,
Posted on the Lenovo forum a few times, no luck, rang Lenovo techs think
it's 8 times now, 8 different answers, most directed to it being my
fault as original image not still on machine. Launchpad is an eyeopener.

Downloaded
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate314-2008-5-15.exe
twice, downloaded with Linux, and against my better judgment, setup dial
up on Win XP and downloaded
with Internet Explorer,  Neither would install, gets to can't complete
install, install interrupted, or similar. Again not surprised, recovery
discs Lenovo sent me wouldn't work either. Have no confidence in them at
all.

Have decided to remove Win XP and install Ubuntu on the full drive, and
use my external drive when I need to.
Tired of chasing this piece of poorly designed equipment. Would like the
email address of the Managing Director of the parent company though,
would like to send him/her a copy of my thoughts.

Have Dial up, so Alternate Ubuntu and installing Lilo isn't really an
option,
One good thing, after quite a bit of thought I have realized that I
don't know a single soul that I dislike enough to try and pass this
machine off to, so I guess I am a very lucky human being.

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions, most appreciated.
Take Care
Winton