Cron.Hourly

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Dec 12 17:49:30 UTC 2008

Joshua Martin wrote:

> To my surprise, that was the answer!
>
> However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed
> by default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and
> cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.
>
> Sorry for being a bother :)

Matthew may be right about anacron - though I can't imagine why anacron
would be installed if cron isn't.  It was a surprise to me that cron isn't
a hard dependency for anacron.

In any case, _many_ packages will create those directories - I count 22
on my system.  IE, any package that _does_ set up a daily cron task will
create /etc/cron.daily if it doesn't already exist.

--
derek