Selling Linux to Windows Users

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 07:27:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>  said:
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> > Will Windows run on your palmtop?  On your 486?
>> > I think Linux will do so.
>>
>> Didn't Windows even run on a 286? I don't think Linux did. OTOH, what
>> is the point of that argument? If you want to sell Linux to someone
>> who is using Windows today, it doesn't make sense to refer to last
>> millenium CPUs.
>>

>> Nils
>>
> It's a moot point anyway because, even if Linux will run on a 486 (ald
> lots of folks still have these, I have one, myself), Ubuntu won't, to
> the best of my knowledge.
> I don't know about a server installation.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I am running Ubuntu (well Debian on one) on my 2 old laptops!
A Sony pcg-f420 (running Xubuntu)
• Intel Pentium III processor 450 MHz
• 64 MB SDRAM (expandable to 256 MB max.)
• 6.0 GB2 fixed hard drive

and an IBM think-pad i-series 1171 (running Lenny Unstable because
Ubuntu CD would not boot)
They run fast and well but need to have the full 196 memory to run well.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FFE