Selling Linux to Windows Users

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 20:41:31 UTC 2008

2008/12/10 Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net>:
> Maybe there's still some slight hope:
>
> Does NTFS (or any Windows file system) yet have metadata journalling
> like Ext3 does?
> If not, crash recovery could be something Linux does well that Windows
> does not.

Windows crash recovery is actually pretty robust. I know, I've seen it
crash way to often!

> Will Windows run on your palmtop?  On your 486?
> I think Linux will do so.

I have Windows on my Dell Axim x50v. My university has Windows XP Pro
SP3 on PIII 700 mHz machines.

> I think Windows /does/ run a supercomputer somewhere, doesn't it?
> Linux is still the preferred choice to do so.

I don't have a supercomputer.

> Multiple desktops, although available through third-party software,
> are /not/ something that Windows yet offers.
> Linux will run many, many.  Natively.

++linux

> How about multiple GUIs, from lightweight ones good for remote access
> to heavyweights with all the bells and whistles?  Not on Windows yet.
> Linux has 'em by the dozens. (well, maybe not dozens, but then maybe
> so...)

There are third party desktop environments for Windows, but they are all junk.

> Can I update not only my OS but all the installed packages at once if
> I am a Windows user?

If you use only MS software, then yes.

> I don't think so but I haven't used a Windows
> unit for some time.  Maybe they finally have something?
> Linux has that from several different directions. (apt, Yum, Emerge...)
>
> Can one go completely command line if one don't need the GUI when
> running Windows in order to save on resources?  Not likely!

Depends on what you are doing. The Windows CLI is actually pretty
robust, though it is not bash.

> Linux is famous for it.

Windows is famous for being easy to use.

> Can we do all administrative tasks from starting and stopping
> services to user and group administration to group policy editing to
> audit tracking and more from the Windows command line, even if the GUI
> still runs?

Actually, I don't think so- at least in Windows Server I hav eheard of
complaints that everything is done through GUI. I suppose that
_implies_ that there is no CLI config possible, though it just may be
that it is not well known.

> How about software installation, removal or upgrade from
> that Windows command line?
> Linux excels at this.

I don't know.

> Maybe Windows doesn't do /quite/ all that Linux will yet.
>
> Of course, this doesn't even mention that Linux offers you /almost/ all
> the software needed to do /almost/ anything you wish, and that for no
> cost.

++linux

> I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for /that/ from Windows!

No, certainly not.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü