Selling Linux to Windows Users

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:30:59 UTC 2008

2008/12/9 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> Can your 74 year old MIL actually use the extra buttons now?  I have this 5-button
> mouse because my wife couldn't stop it from doing awful things on Windows - the
> buttons were set to do SOMETHING by default, but it was not obvious _what_.

She has no such mouse. I was making the point that end users are not
going to go google their problems. They will live with them and accept
that as being the way things are. The system that gives them the least
problems out of the box is what is best for them.

> So unless there's some standard for what the extra buttons should do,
> they're just as useful being initially unmapped as mapped.

There is: it is printed on the box that the mouse came in.

>> In any case, KDE is a desktop environment, not an application that
>> _does_ anything.
>
> Not a valid argument.  It's an application just like anything else, and
> if it runs on Windows, it's only recent.

What do you do with KDE? Move windows around iExplore does that (not
Internet Explorer, iExplore, the Windows equivelant of Xorg). What is
important is what can you DO with Linux that you cannot do with
WIndows? Not what particular applications you can run.

>> The individual components such as Kate, Kontact, and
>> Amarok are distinct applications and they can be run on Windows.
>
> Not unless KDE runs on Windows...  Kate & Kontact still require the whole kde
> base.  Amarok only needs kdelibs.

But there are text editors and PIMs available for Windows too, that do
everything that Kate and Kontact do.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü