Memory usage measurement

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 9 07:50:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 02:49:13PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> I'm trying, unsuccessfully,. to find a utility that will display the
> memory allocated, not including cache and buffers.
>
> The closes I could come is with the free command.  I can add the -/+
> buffers/cache and Swap used column, which should be fairly close.
> However, those numbers will contain 'clean' pages that exist both in
> physical ram as well as used swap space.

A little awking might be needed for such specific requirements?

Here we have "Dirty" and "Writeback", at least. Can you deduce "clean"
from that? Is inactive "clean", or a subset thereof?

$ more /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       251928 kB
MemFree:          5176 kB
Buffers:         10408 kB
Cached:          77556 kB
SwapCached:         64 kB
Active:         201500 kB
Inactive:        24056 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       251928 kB
LowFree:          5176 kB
SwapTotal:      730916 kB
SwapFree:       696232 kB
Dirty:              24 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:      137528 kB
Mapped:          56592 kB
Slab:            14204 kB
SReclaimable:     7148 kB
SUnreclaim:       7056 kB
PageTables:       1824 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:    856880 kB
Committed_AS:   454848 kB
VmallocTotal:   770040 kB
VmallocUsed:      2648 kB
VmallocChunk:   767044 kB

Erik

--
Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.