Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 9 02:19:05 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 12/8/08, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 4:00 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Att Yahoo web mail does use pop3 and SMTP servers. But
> I use it because
> > I can see it better and it's better formatted than
> evolution or tb
> > which I have installed and set up. The seeing issue is
> overriding for
> > me-:))
>
> Did you try Kmail? There you can set the fonts to your
> preferred size.

Haven't tried Kmail but the issue isn't all font size. A great part of the issue is being able to see the email full screen, not formatted like TB and Evo. If kmail is like that it's not for me.  Maybe visit kmail when things are better.

> > > I think it is a bit unusual to have 2 interfaces
> with the
> > > same address,
> > > but from another of your mails I know that it
> worked with a
> > > previous
> > > Ubuntu version. Therefore I think it should work
> with your
> > > current
> > > version as well. OTOH, could this be the reason
> for your
> > > intermittant
> > > internet connection?
> >
> > > As you are using only one of the
> > > interfaces at a
> > > time, I would suggest to use another address for
> one of the
> > > interfaces.
> > > You have 192.168.1.3 in use for the other machine
> already,
> > > so use e.g.
> > > 192.168.1.4 for eth0 while you keep wlan0 at
> 192.168.1.2.

That's a thought I might try.

> > The NIC card is always disconnected in normal use when
> using the
> > machine as wireless in the other room. Nm must have
> set it up as I
> > don't remember everdoing so.
>
> Well, from your interfaces file (see above) we know that it
> is setup
> manually to the same addresses. I don't think NM would
> change that setup.

Did you see my comment about interfaces file set up an nm settings changed frim wired back to wireless from early this morning to when I checked again before my last reply to you. I even had 2wire configuration set to wired DHCP with wireless disabled and no IP's even listed. It wasn't me who changed it and if not nm then what did?

> > I think I should quit procastinating and
> > rm netwrok magager as NoOp suggested and actually
> intended to but
> > haven't yet. Strange, I just again checked
> /etc/network/interfaces and
> > nm and they both only showed a wireless connection. I
> had commented out
> > auto wlan0 which was still there but another on was
> added at the bottom
> > of the file.
>
> IMHO the "auto wlan0" is needed for a static
> setup.
Even with DHCP and machined wired into router and wifi disabled?

If you want NM to
> manage the interface you should remove all entries for that
> particular
> interface. A standard interfaces file for management by NM
> would have
> only the entry for the loopback interface.

I understand what your saying about interfaces but think I rather get rid of NM as I don't like anything overriding my manual settings.

> > Also, the last time I looked at 2wire config early
> this
> > morning, it has wireless disabled and wired enabled.
> Now it's OK again
> > after resetting nm and restarting networking. If nm is
> causing all this
> > I want to rid myself of it and can see NoOp's
> distaste for it. This is
> > really wild for me and never noticed it before on
> gutsy 32bit. WOW!
>
> NM is very useful if you have changing connections but if
> you are always
> connected the same way, NM isn't really necessary if
> your static setup is
> working. But whatever you decide to do with network
> manager, please try
> if your situation improves if you use different IP
> addresses for the
> interfaces eth0 and wlan0.

I will purge NM now. Maybe install wicd and check it out.  Good tip on different IPs for the two cards; I will do so.  Thanks for you help and persistence. Now to google on firefox-bin hogging my CPU memory which I think is my biggest issue now. Thanks again Nils

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net