Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 17:53:58 UTC 2008

On 12/07/2008 07:16 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- On Sun, 12/7/08, Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
[snip]
>> Actually, it was me that noticed this first - but given he can
>> connect to the net ok, I'm hesitant to say that "here is the
>> problem". Clearly, it seems reasonable to suggest cleaning up
>> whatever bad config is causing this - but the real problem may lie
>> somewhere else! For instance his router may have  "administer via
>> wireless" set to "false".
>>
>> regards
>>
> Karl was right on on this issue. After moving the machine to the
> router, I tried connecting again to 192.168.1.254 via wifi, then via
> NIC without disabling wifi and then disabling wifi when it finally
> connected.  So, it appears tha you are correct too about having only
> one active card as it seems.  Thanks for you help. I can now access
> 2wire.net configuration page and also ping 192.168.1.254. Leonard
> Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Unfortunately Karl started a whole new thread on the subject, so trying
to figure out what you are referring to is not so easy.

While it works in this case (only hardwired), it makes no sense as the
1701HG can be configured for _only_ a wireless device per the manual
(page 2,5 & 6).

Quoting from page 2:

====
Choose a Computer and Connection Type
There are many ways to set up your network, but typically the first
computer is located in the same room as
the gateway and your DSL connection. Ethernet is the preferred
connection method for your first computer,
although instructions for connecting via wireless and USB are also provided.
====

I think if you do a hard (factory) reset & try wireless only w/dhcp per
the instructions in the manual (wep using your key from the bottom of
the modem) you will be able to access gateway.2wire.net/192.168.1.254.