Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 15:16:11 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 12/7/08, Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> From: Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>
> Subject: Re: Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 2:06 AM
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > And like Luke Militello said, you seem to have
> duplicate routes via eth0
> > and wlan0. As long as both interfaces point to your
> router, you will have
> > problems if only one is connected. It may work
> sometimes but it isn't
> > reliable. Did you at least use different IP addresses
> for eth0 and wlan0?
> > Sorry if you sent it already and I overlooked it, but
> maybe you could
> > post the output of the command "ifconfig
> -a".
> >

> Actually, it was me that noticed this first - but given he
> can connect
> to the net ok, I'm hesitant to say that "here is
> the problem". Clearly,
> it seems reasonable to suggest cleaning up whatever bad
> config is
> causing this - but the real problem may lie somewhere else!
> For instance
> his router may have  "administer via wireless"
> set to "false".
>
> regards

Karl was right on on this issue. After moving the machine to the router, I tried connecting again to
192.168.1.254 via wifi, then via NIC
without disabling wifi and then disabling wifi when it finally connected.  So, it appears tha you are correct too about having only one active card as it seems.  Thanks for you help. I can now access 2wire.net configuration page and also ping 192.168.1.254.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net