Real Audio support

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Fri Dec 5 06:43:41 UTC 2008

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Michael Haney wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been looking through Synaptic trying to find something to make
>>> streamtuner support Real Audio streams. I'm using Amorok as the player
>>> for streamtuner.
>>>
>>> Is there any support for Real audio in Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.rayslinks.com/ Web index of human reviewed links.
>>> <http://www.rayslinks.com/Troubleshooting%20and%20fixing%20Windows.html>
>>> Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows
>>> http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com My poetry in web pages
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> There is Real Player 11 for Linux.
>>

> Thanks for the info. I just used their download button to download a
> .bin file but I don't know what to do with it.
>
> When I choose open for the .bin file nothing happens. Do I need to
> perhaps use the link under their download button for the .deb file? If
> so, I'm going to need some help installing that, as I've never installed
> anything on Ubuntu other than by using Synaptic.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Hello again,

Well, it was easier than I thought. I clicked their download link for
the .deb package and up popped a dialog asking if I wanted to run the
Package Manger to install. I chose to save the file, and then selected
Open File in Firefox's download manager and it installed with no
problem. So, I just learned that there is in fact a GUI installer for
.deb packages in Ubuntu. It even handled downloading the dependencies
for me. Very nice!

Now to check to see if Real Player works.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows