libdvdcss

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 01:52:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>    It has changed from this too! I went to the URL and got the package
> but it didn't install saying it is missing dependancies. This this is a
> fully updated 8.10 I have no idea what it is missing.

Hmm. According to output from aptitude show there aren't any
dependencies, other than libc6, which of course is already installed
(or your system wouldn't work).

dfox at newbox:~$ aptitude show libdvdcss2
Package: libdvdcss2
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1
 To allow applications to access some of the more advanced features of the DVD
 format.
Homepage: http://download.videolan.org/

>From this, it appears that this package replaced a libdvdcss-dev,
which may explain why the libdvdcss-dev doesn't install?

Furthermore:

dfox at newbox:~$ aptitude show libdvdcss-dev
Package: libdvdcss-dev
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1
 To allow applications to access some of the more advanced features of the DVD
 format.
Homepage: http://download.videolan.org/

-dev shows dependencies, so of course -dev wouldn't install without
the corresponding base package, so take Steve's link and take out the
corresponding -dev part and it might work.