Panel will not come out of hiding

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Thu Dec 4 03:03:49 UTC 2008

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Well, I've been checking, and the settings do stick across kernels, so
>> I'm not going to be removing my beloved commpiz as I'm addicted to my
>> four desktop interface. I don't think that's it.
>>

> Just for the record - you can have four workspaces (desktops) without
> compiz - the first time I was introduced to Gnome with multi-desktop
> was on Mandrake 7 IIRC., which predates compiz a bit ;)  To determine
> whether or not compiz is the problem is simple - go to System - >
> Prefs -> Appearance and select "none" on the Visual Effects tab (note
> the setting that is already selected).  Reboot (to new kernel) and see
> what happens.  If it comes up OK, go back to the same dialog and
> re-enable desktop effects and see what happens.  If everything is
> copasetic, reboot once more or log out to make sure.   I would guess
> that compiz and the kernel are both red herrings - but we won't know
> for sure until you poke around a little more.
>
> HTH,
> Chris

Hello,

I had previously already rebooted to the new kernel and the panel was
working again. For some reason before I rebooted the ability to switch
between desktops by scrolling the mouse wheel went away while the
computer was just sitting here while I watched TV. After booting into
the new kernel it still would not rotate with the mouse wheel.

I turned off the Visual Effects, then turned them back on again. Now the
scroll wheel causes the desktop to "slide" to the next desktop instead
of the old rotate effect. Very strange, but at least I have the ability
to change desktops with the scroll wheel again.

Anyone know why these things are happening?

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows