Panel will not come out of hiding

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 00:50:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
[...]
> Well, I've been checking, and the settings do stick across kernels, so
> I'm not going to be removing my beloved commpiz as I'm addicted to my
> four desktop interface. I don't think that's it.

Just for the record - you can have four workspaces (desktops) without
compiz - the first time I was introduced to Gnome with multi-desktop
was on Mandrake 7 IIRC., which predates compiz a bit ;)  To determine
whether or not compiz is the problem is simple - go to System - >
Prefs -> Appearance and select "none" on the Visual Effects tab (note
the setting that is already selected).  Reboot (to new kernel) and see
what happens.  If it comes up OK, go back to the same dialog and
re-enable desktop effects and see what happens.  If everything is
copasetic, reboot once more or log out to make sure.   I would guess
that compiz and the kernel are both red herrings - but we won't know
for sure until you poke around a little more.

HTH,
Chris