Bind - one pc,two ips ,two dns servers

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Dec 1 05:36:55 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> Please don't feed the trolls.  They become dependant on decent,
>>> upstanding people for their survival and when left to their own will
>>> either starve to death or become an increasing nuisance to rest of us
>>> looking for more.
>>>
>> What's the matter Rashkae?
>>
>> Can't take a little general discussion on the stability of BIND?
>>

> I have nothing against a general discussion of Bind.  However, what
> parts of the discussion I did read looked like they were more likely to
> start measuring in centimeters/inches rather than transactions per second.

Oh was it? Well, sometimes, certain bits of information are necessary to
emphasize how good a piece of software is. The real test of a piece of
software is when it is put on hardware that are not way beyond the needs
of the load it will get. So, sometimes, you have to give a bit of
information about the environment.

I think you'd agree that 200 million whatever is nothing compared with
the real big boys and that you'd be okay if I tell you that I know that
a service provider with 40 million mailboxes is not really something.

But to make a case for software, telling people that and then the lousy
hardware that is doing the job and then how sendmail performs versus
postfix or qmail or exim is better than just saying: qmail ROCKS!
sendmail SUCKS! (no, not making a case for qmail at all here.)

>> What's to be done on a Ubuntu technical support list that takes general
>> technical questions not related to Ubuntu? Hit sounder?
>>
>> Hey Giorgos, it appears your question has nothing Ubuntu specific in it
>> and you have to take it to sounder. Maybe when things are ironed out
>> then you can come back here and ask something like: How do I setup/run
>> two BIND instances on Ubuntu?
>>

> Methinks the question was perfectly appropriate here, although, probably
> not the best source for very technical discussions of something like bind.

Yeah, well, I ain't going try to get into a discussion of how
appropriate that question was. But general technical questions can lead
into very technical discussions in order to provide an answer for the
OP. Or is the answer simply going to be: pay Canonical/whoever