Uninstallin Flashplayer?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 1 01:27:43 UTC 2008

On 11/30/2008 12:25 PM, Daniel T Chen wrote:
> On 11/30/2008 03:01 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> "flashplayer". I can easily remove flashplugin-nonfree but what about
>> the flashplayer that the plugin installed. That's what I can't find
>> and what Adobe's message is all about. Sorry for my ignorance.
>>
>> Leonard Chatagnier
>> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>>

> The flashplugin-nonfree package only downloads and installs the Flash
> plugin for Web browsers.  It does not install any standalone ("heavy" or
> "thick") application.  In fact, on Ubuntu, the "Flash Player" to which
> the Adobe instructions refer is this plugin.

In addition, I would do a:

sudo updatedb
locate libflashplayer.so

Note: updatedb is to ensure that any new installs are detected on the
'locate' as updatedb is only updated every 24 hours otherwise.

Then do an md5sum on each to ensure that they match. If they do not,
replace any older with the new one (rename the old one in case you want
to fall back & copy the new one to it's place).

So, if you find something like:

/home/<user>/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Do an md5sum on both:

md5sum /home/<user>/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
md5sum /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

and compare.