rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Nik N niknot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 21:55:23 UTC 2008

On 8/31/08, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/31 Nik N <niknot at gmail.com>:
>> The reason to reconsider FF after using it since it's earliest times is...
>> that Windows version is now driven by IE "security" settings...

> Exactly- the change is that they care more about security. The Windows
> OS has user-set security settings, and Mozilla honours those settings.
> It would be irresponsible to override the user's preferences in regard
> to security.

I said IE security settings, not Windows OS. When I use a browser that is
an alternative to the one thrown in by the OS vendor, I expect it to behave
as I tell it, not as some hard-to-manage and bug-prone IE settings. Do a search
on "This download has been blocked by your Security Zone Policy";
and you'll see that this is often not a trivial thing to resolve
(re-installing IE7, among
other things?). Yes, this is a problem on another platform,  but there
are Linux
version issues as noted above, and  I've lost the confidence I once had in the
ability of Firefox developers and product planners. I'll stick with
FF2 while searching
for the alternatives.

Nik N.