Ubuntu on old machine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 31 20:13:39 UTC 2008

On 08/31/2008 08:44 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>>     The box is a  E-machine  266 MHZ   and 250  megabits of Random
>> access memory. It has a 4o gig and 60 gig hard drives.  It will boot
>> from cd.   Will Ubuntu 8.04  install and run on such a machine?  Would
>> I be better off to try something like Xubuntu or Puppy Linux.
>
> If you mean 256 MBytes instead of 250 Mbit (which would be <32MB) Xubuntu
> 8.04 would work just fine. I don't think Ubuntu 8.04 can be installed on
> a 256MB machine. And as you plan to use it for a single application it
> shouldn't matter which desktop you have.
>

> Nils

Ubuntu installs just fine on a 256MB machine if you use the alternate
CD. That said, I think that trying to run on a 266Mhz machine with only
256MB is probably not worth the effort as you can pick up faster
machines out of the recycle bin.

[I admit to having a test 350mhz w/128Mb laptop that I do use for
testing on occassion. It has the full/standard Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop
running on it; you just have to have patience when using it :-]