Removing Realplayer broke synaptic, need help.

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Sun Aug 31 11:57:51 UTC 2008

"Dom Dorris" <domdorris at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I was having problems with media playback in webpages using Firefox so
> I installed Realplayer. I hated the way it changed all of my Gnome
> icons so I tried to remove it  piece-by-piece, but in doing so , I
> accidentally removed /sbin/ldconfig.real. I think this has now screwed
> up synaptic & it wont work. Anyone any ideas in how to restore
> synaptic? I keep getting prompted to do kpdg configure a but it fails
> saying something about cache failed. I'm using gutsy. All help
> appreciated

Please post the complete error messages.

To restore /sbin/ldconfig.real you have to manually download the libc6
package from the repository (the file should be something like
/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.7-10ubuntu3_i386.deb [that's the hardy
version, "apt-cache policy libc6" tells you which version you have
installed]).  Save the file e.g. to /tmp/libc6.deb and unpack it using
  dpkg -x /tmp/libc6.deb /tmp/foo/
at the command line.
Now copy /tmp/foo/sbin/ldconfig.real to /sbin/ldconfig.real

To be sure everything is fine reinstall the package libc6 as soon as
this is possible, e.g. using
  sudo apt-get install --reinstall libc6
from the command line or using Synaptic.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>