Removing Realplayer broke synaptic, need help.

Dom Dorris domdorris at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:40:55 UTC 2008

I was having problems with media playback in webpages using Firefox so
I installed Realplayer. I hated the way it changed all of my Gnome
icons so I tried to remove it  piece-by-piece, but in doing so , I
accidentally removed /sbin/ldconfig.real. I think this has now screwed
up synaptic & it wont work. Anyone any ideas in how to restore
synaptic? I keep getting prompted to do kpdg configure a but it fails
saying something about cache failed. I'm using gutsy. All help
appreciated