ssh no password problem

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 12:09:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 11:47 +0200, Adel ESSAFI wrote:
>> What are other reasons that can causes that!
>
> Wait a minute, rom the command listing in your original post it seems
> that you might have generated and added the public key on the same
> machine, is that correct?

Yes, but he's testing it on the local machine as well....

> You need to generate id_dsa.pub on the local machine, then copy it to
> the remote host and add it _there_ to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2
>
> If you follow the instructions on
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/openssh-server.html to the
> letter, it should be fine.

What has gotten me in the past is the permissions on the .ssh folder istself.
They should be 744 I believe.

There is a command to add keys to a remote server as well that's
rarely mentioned.
I don't have my Ubuntu box in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's
  ssh-copy-id or at least ssh-copy-something
where `ssh-copy-id -i path/to/public/key remoteuser at remotehost` will
copy the key to the right place with the right permissions.

Also, when testing ssh, if you use a couple of -v then troubleshooting
is much easier.
  ssh -v

HTH
Brian