I am so lost with this program!!!!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Sat Aug 30 14:25:37 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:
>>

> Totally out of line. I for one am dyslexic and that means that almost
> every English class I was ever given was changed to one to teach me
> spelling (Never worked, I would have been better of learning grammar).
> This happened right through high school. Now I have a masters of
> science but my grammar, spelling and punctuation still suck. Does that
> mean I need to get flamed, or suffer sarcasm? I am also from the USA
> but live in Germany (After 2 years here it is a good day when I can
> say, "tea", correctly). You will find that a large number of people on
> this list speak English as their second language. How is your German,
> Spanish, Chinese etc grammar and spelling and puntuation? What would

Again, I do not think this is out of line. I've seen hundreds of posts
with bad grammar and punctuation, but also apologies for that from ESL
persons.  That, I can completely understand and can deal with.  My wife
works as a teacher in a school with 200 students, but 14 nationalities.
   I get that.  That's not the issue.

The issues here are twofold, etiquette and manners.  If English isn't
your native language, please let us know.  Not all of us are bilingual
(and actually, my Italian is very good.  But that comes from years of
study and trips on archaeological digs to the country.  My Latin is good
too, but not used as much.  :)  ) but we will work with you on getting
the issue resolved if you are polite.  That's my point.

As long as you are polite, I don't have a problem with helping you.
What burns me are the ones who DEMAND help, bad English or not.  It's
all about respect.  It's about understanding that the people on this
list are providing their time and experience for free, so respect that
fact.  I mean you don't barge into a mechanic demanding he fix your car.
  It's not likely he would if you take that attitude.

As far as grammar goes, I really hate it.  But that's a pet peeve of
mine, and one I tend to try to overlook as much as possible.  But,
unless you disclaim that English is not your native tongue, I'll tend to
think it IS and go from there.

Is that biased?  Yeah, maybe, but it's not from any dislike of ESL
people, just habit.  It's not an assumption, so much as I don't take the
nationality of the person into account when I read mail.  Who doesn't do
that?

The point is, if you need help, n00b or not.  Be respectful and polite.
  I can overlook bad grammar if the poster is polite.