Search Machine for Ubuntu machine

Jim Rosser jarosser06 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 17:19:47 UTC 2008

Im pretty sure google desktop would be the closest to what hes looking for,
i think it even does look through text files, the only thing i dont know
would be setting it up throughout a local lan but im sure it could be done.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com>wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
> >>  I have Ubuntu 7.10 and would like to get an open source search engine
> >> which I can use on this machine.  I would like to tell it what hard
> >> drive and/or directory to search and tell it to search for a file and/or
> >> contents of a file.  It would also be nice if it was written in perl or
> >> java or java script or python or some other script or language but not
> >> compiled.  Even a bash shell with bash commands. Also, I would like it
> >> to be a server so clients from other machines (like XP) could access the
> >> search  domain.  I suppose I could use a browser as client which gives
> >> Apache a CGI script with the results back to the browser but I  am
> >> hoping not to develop  this application but rather (at least initially)
> >> to pick up a search application ready to go.
> >>
> >> Thanks -- Ted.
> >>
> >     Open a Terminal and type locate filename
> >
> > Karl
>
> That's a possibility, but the original poster wanted some sort of search
> engine that is accessible from other computers on the network using web
> browser. Also, locate alone will not work, because he wants to find
> certain text within the found files.

Jim Rosser
Winchester Designs