Search Machine for Ubuntu machine

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Fri Aug 29 14:18:52 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
>>  I have Ubuntu 7.10 and would like to get an open source search engine
>> which I can use on this machine.  I would like to tell it what hard
>> drive and/or directory to search and tell it to search for a file and/or
>> contents of a file.  It would also be nice if it was written in perl or
>> java or java script or python or some other script or language but not
>> compiled.  Even a bash shell with bash commands. Also, I would like it
>> to be a server so clients from other machines (like XP) could access the
>> search  domain.  I suppose I could use a browser as client which gives
>> Apache a CGI script with the results back to the browser but I  am
>> hoping not to develop  this application but rather (at least initially)
>> to pick up a search application ready to go.
>>
>> Thanks -- Ted.
>>
>     Open a Terminal and type locate filename
>
> Karl

That's a possibility, but the original poster wanted some sort of search
engine that is accessible from other computers on the network using web
browser. Also, locate alone will not work, because he wants to find
certain text within the found files.
--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |