Some troubles with Orca in Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 29 15:04:20 UTC 2008

On 08/23/2008 03:40 PM, Demetry wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> So, I am very lucky to try to work with Ubuntu 8.04.1 (AMD 64) and Orca. :)
> But I have some troubles with Orca in a few situations:
> When I try to login in the Synaptic or somewhere Orca doesn't work
> longer well. Orca begins to sleep... I don't hear something... That do
> happen it where I need to enter the password from my account all the
> places. Why that?

Try here:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/GnomeSpeech
"If you still cannot make test-speech talk, it's probably time to jot
down any errors you might be seeing and ask us for help."
mailto:orca-list at gnome.org

> And, BTW, how can I configure the braille support from or with Orca?
> Orca says me in the setting menu that can support a few braille
> displays. But my braille display will not work automatically. I have a
> PAC Mate with 40 cells from Freedom Scientific via USB.

Did you try the help links that I provided you previously?

Also try: System|Help|Assistive Tools and search on braille.
In the brltty man page it states:

<quote>
USB
For a USB device, specify usb:.
brltty will search for the first USB device which
matches the braille display driver being used.
If this is inadequate, e.g. if you have more than one USB braille
display which requires the same driver,
then you can refine the device specification
by appending the serial number of the display to it, e.g.
usb:12345.
N.B.:
The "identification by serial number" feature doesn't work for some
models because some manufacturers
either don't set the USB serial number descriptor at all
or do set it but not to a unique value.

A comma-delimited list of braille devices may be specified.
If this is done then autodetection is performed on each listed device in
sequence.
This feature is particularly useful if you have
a braille display with more than one interrface,
e.g. both a serial and a USB port.
</quote>

Ubuntu uses BRLTTY:
http://mielke.cc/brltty/