Rutebook and a lot more

Graham Watkins shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 28 18:04:37 UTC 2008

Young wrote:
> Graham Watkins wrote:
>
>> Young wrote:
>>
>>> The PDF version is in
>>> /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz
>>> It would be really nice if you could make a link to this, but you can't.
>>> And you can't extract it either. So, copy it to your chosen place, then
>>> extract it if you want, and put it where you want to now, and even Make
>>> a Link if you want.
>>>

>> You can make a link to this - I've done it.
>>
>> file:///usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz
>>
>> A program called okular (which I didn't even know I had) opens it. I
>> even turned the graphic at the top of the html page into a desktop icon.
>>
>> But I do agree that it would be a good thing if this and some other
>> programs ought to be a bit more user-friendly to beginners.
>>

> Could you please give more detail about how to create the link.
> file:///usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz
>
> If you meant Launcher, I tried that, but it won't work. Did you edit the
> privileges?
>
> When I open rute.pdf.gz, Evince Document Viewer is used.
>
> A search of Synaptics for okular finds a KDE4, so I'm guessing you're
> using Kubuntu.

If you mean right-click on desktop and select "create launcher", then
that's what I did and so far as I can remember, I didn't have to change
any permissions.  I thought (and maybe someone could correct me if I'm
wrong) that, as it's name implies, stuff in /usr/share was accessible by
all users.

I have KDE4 installed but I don't use it because it's pants.  Some of
the programs included with it are pretty good though and I can access
these from Gnome or XFCE4.

Cheers,

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.